Saturday, October 26, 2013

Updating The 2009 LifeHacker QuadCore Hackintosh to Mavericks

In October 2009 the birthday present to myself was the LifeHacker QuadCore Hackintosh

I spent a bunch of time updating it to Mountain Lion, it is fairly successful now. I still need to straighten out the sleep function. The OS works, but it was not an easy install, for me that is.

My first hackintosh was the MSI Wind netbook, it was an easy install, bittorrent down a DVD ISO and install. There was one aftermarket driver for the wifi card and it was good! :)

The above lifehacker link has the hardware list. The unit now has 8 GB of RAM and two removable drive bays. I like to be able to pull the boot drive and swap it for any OS I need. The second bay is great for backup! Click the image for the link to see the product.

This week Mavericks came out, I update my one year old MacBook Pro, it seems OK so far, but it broke my ColdFusion install.

I was browsing around, looking to fix the Mountain Lion hackintosh sleep issue and saw that TonyMaxX86 had an article about building a Mavericks hackintosh.

It promised to be nooby easy, and was! :)

You need an 8 GB or better USB drive, a Mavericks Mac and MultiBeast & UniBeast.

The only thing that was not exactly as what the article said was that the original Mavericks install file still needs to be in the Applications directory. I backed it up before I upgraded the MacBookPro.

After that, the install was straight forward. Except to get it to boot right, I had to add some boot flags:
GraphicsEnabler=Yes, PCIRootUID=1

These boot flags are included in the MultiBeast Config file found here.

When following the instructions, at step 7 choose upload, and upload the config file, then skip to step 11.

I'll post updates if any events occur during the test drive.

Please donate to TheACF.co whose goal is to make computers accessible to all!

Enjoy Mavericks!

UPDATE #1 Want the stock on board audio to work properly also?

Download this package from Niresh!

UPDATE #2 Want iMovie? Torrent down a copy, and the app store will see it and offer you a new fresh copy

No comments: